Green tea is made from the leaves of a plant named Camellia sinensis and is abundantly found in China. It offers a variety of health benefits ranging from cancer and cardiovascular diseases to headaches and weight loss. Green tea weight loss is one of the most talked about and researched benefits of green tea and is part of every dietician’s weight loss tips. However, to optimize benefits of green tea weight loss, it is important to understand the difference between good and poor quality green tea and select the best one. Below are a few tips to select good quality green tea.
- Once green tea leaves are plucked from the shrub, they begin to ferment and oxidize almost immediately. Hence green tea leaves are steamed and processed immediately to prevent them from fermenting. This gives them a bright green or bright yellow color and this is one of the main characteristics of a good quality green tea. Leaves that are too yellow or dull indicate poor quality.
- Green tea does not stay fresh for a long time. An unopened packet of green tea has a shelf life of less than six months. Hence while purchasing green tea, make sure to check on the packaging date. It should be packed for the shortest period possible.
- Once opened, green tea can stay fresh for a possible two to three months only. As it gets older, you will be able to notice the difference in the color and quality. This is because once opened it is exposed to oxygen and gets oxidized.
- The leaves of the green tea should be whole leaves. They should be uniform and of a standard pattern. Their appearance should be bright and the thickness, length and size should be even. Dry, dull and uneven leaves are a sign of poor quality.
- The aroma of the tea should be delicate, fresh and young. Fruity or floral fragrances also indicate excellence. Aroma that is harsh, dull or burnt and musty indicates poor processing and quality.
- Every packet has instructions as to how you must brew the green tea. It is important to follow those instructions with regards to brewing time and temperature of the water so as to derive the exact taste and benefits from the green tea.
The secret to achieving fast weight loss lies in your own self-discipline towards following a healthier diet and customized exercise routine. Supplement this with four to five cups of green tea every day and you are on your way to achieving your targeted weight loss.